Friday, May 12, 2017

Up & away




I don’t remember that day
when I boarded my air balloon
With mother’s arms around, to tuck me in
Hardly suited-up to fly, up and away


I took off, early morning on a Tuesday
the sun was bright and fruity orange
All around animals were calling out into an air freshly baked and still crisp
my balloon was gaining speed, up and away


Rapidly rising, I could see trees, houses and the limitless horizon
fondly I remembered, singing with young songbirds many
on warm and bountiful mornings, plenty with songs au contraire
But all the time in my fluffy balloon, I lazily shot, up and away


Proud of my flight which was headlong yet steady
the sun got blinding and harsher
familiar faces grew smaller
I felt so alone in a shrinking wooden basket - now it sluggishly drifted so high, up and away


I saw the dark clouds above me and experienced thunder
but a welcome drizzle greeted me
and suddenly an unexpected swan crossed me with her elegant flight
While my balloon was soaring up and away


For I was the above clouds
The air was achingly cold and ether got dark
My swan I lost in the dusk
I don’t recall where I had started or knew how long will I linger, still up and away


Finally, infinite space was the empty color of frozen soot
beyond, moon, stars and galaxies gleamed of fire
That last breath, a final movement long gone
listless lonely flight like life, bid adieu to known terra firma and, dissolved up and away


No comments:

Followers